Social Media Policy
The ASC’s social media sites are monitored and moderated during regular business hours. Information posted to these channels should not be considered as the authoritative source of guidance from the ASC. Please refer to the ASC’s website for official updates.
Examples of the content you can expect to find on the social media sites are:
- ASC news releases, investor alerts and warnings
- Photos and videos from events and advertising campaigns
- Links to relevant media articles, blogs, or social media posts
- Job postings and website notifications
- Various content from other securities regulators and government agencies
- Responses to questions and comments from the public
Information Collected via the Internet
When you visit the ASC website, the web server automatically collects a limited amount of information essential for the operation and security of the ASC website and for statistical purposes to improve this website. When you visit the ASC site, the servers log and store your IP address, domain name, operating system, browser type, the time you logged into the site, what pages you visited and length of each visit, and your general geographic location. The information is used for the purposes of trouble-shooting, identifying unauthorized attempts to cause damage, and for statistical purposes to facilitate the statistical analysis of website usage in order to make improvements for the public. Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, no attempts are made to identify individual users or other usage habits.
Replies, Comments and Questions
The information you submit via e-mail is secure once it reaches the ASC server. However, it might not be secure in transit between your computer and the ASC server. If you prefer, you may fax, mail, or phone us at the ASC contact numbers and addresses provided on this website.
ASC Communications staff moderate and post on social media during ASC regular business hours. They are full time employees of the Alberta Securities Commission who have professional responsibilities beyond social media. While they do endeavour to answer questions, they may not respond to every comment, wall post, or tweet received.
The ASC reserves the right to remove and/or block anyone who posts inappropriate content as determined by the ASC.
The ASC reserves the right to remove comments that are:
- Vulgar, abusive, or offensive
- Personal attacks
- Spam, advertising or product promotions
- Stock recommendations or promotions
- Unsupported accusations
- Confidential information, such as ongoing investigations or confidential filings
- Unintelligible or irrelevant
- Not authored by the sender
- Infringement of copyright rules (that includes copying and pasting excerpts from other sites without permission and attribution)
- Violations of someone’s privacy
If you have questions about the ASC social media policies please email the FOIP Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-877-355-0585 or 403-297-6454.