Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In
Check registration (?)

The national registration search contains the names of all individuals and firms who are registered to sell securities in Canada, with the exception of those registered solely with the Ontario Securities Commision (OSC).

File a Complaint

What the ASC can and cannot do:

ASC Can:

  • Answer general questions about investment products and services
  • Tell you if a firm or individual is registered to sell securities​
  • Tell you if a firm or individual has been sanctioned by ASC
  • Suggest options for pursuing your complaint and direct you to the most appropriate agency
  • Investigate or follow-up on complaints with regards to Alberta’s securities laws
  • Enforce compliance with securities rules and laws
  • Act against market misconduct

ASC Cannot:

  • Provide updates on the review process
  • Get investor money back
  • Provide legal advice
  • Comment on an investigation

The Alberta Securities Commission (ASC) is the regulatory agency responsible for administering the province's securities laws. It is entrusted to foster a fair and efficient capital market in Alberta and to protect investors. The ASC oversees the activities in Alberta of other regulatory agencies such as the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) and the MFDA Mutual Fund Dealers Association. These regulators are responsible for the review and investigation of complaints against their members.

Review the Complaints About Advisers and Complaints About Trading sections below and the FAQs to determine if your concerns can be resolved via another avenue before filing a complaint with the ASC.

Complaints About Advisers:

If your concern is with your investment account, financial adviser or investment company, you should first try to resolve your dispute with your financial adviser, the branch manager, or the compliance officer. If not you will have to file your concerns with Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) or MFDA Mutual Fund Dealers Association. You may also wish to contact the Ombudsman for Banking Services and Investments.

Complaints About Trading:

If your concern is with respect to the poor execution of a trade order, potential violations of the Universal Market Integrity Rules (UMIR), potential trading violations by a regulated person, or concerns regarding timely disclosure of material information by a publicly listed company, forward your complaints to Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC).

File a Complaint:

If you would like to send a complaint to the ASC you must include enough details so we can determine what actions might be necessary. All information provided will be treated as confidential and used only as allowed by the Securities Act.

Please fill out this online form. Please be prepared to explain:

  • What your complaint is about.
  • When the incident took place (dates, times etc).
  • The steps you have taken during the course of the situation.
  • Names and addresses of those involved, and your relationship to the company or individual at the source of the complaint.
  • If you have any copies of letters, cancelled cheques, account statements, or other documents that will help explain your complaint and support your statements. You may be asked to provide these hard copy documents at a later date.
  • Other relevant information that would be helpful to better understand your concerns.

Should you wish to file a complaint via regular email, fax or letter, be sure to include all of these details. Send to:

Fax: Attn: Assessment
(403) 297-2210
Mail: Attn: Assessment
Alberta Securities Commission
Suite 600, 250–5th St. SW
Calgary, Alberta, T2P 0R4
Phone: (403) 355-3888